Keeping Children Safe & Managing Behaviour
Course Cost : £70.00 (exc.VAT)
Study Time: Approximately 6 hours
Time Limit: 6-months to complete
Tutor Support: Included
Course Summary – “Keeping Children Safe & Managing Behaviour”:
One of a coach’s main responsibilities is to keep each child safe. In fact, when children come to coaching sessions, or going on the golf course, the coach has a legal responsibility to make sure that they are both safe and feel safe, physically and emotionally.
Children’s safety and their opportunity for learning depend on the coach’s ability to establish high standards of behaviour for all children. The course has three modules.
– Module 1 gives ten pieces of essential advice on how to ensure children are safe during coaching sessions.
– Module 2 explains our recommendations for helping coaches achieve the good behaviour needed for children to be safe, happy and learning.
– Module 3 is a short introduction to safeguarding and child protection.
Module 1 – Safety
Ten pieces of essential advice on ensure children are safe:
1. Interesting sessions
2. Zero tolerance
3. Calm and sensible from the start
4. Clear unequivocal simple language
5. Praise good behaviour
6. Make it easy for children to be safe
7. Appropriate equipment
8. Effects of weather
9. Be ready to manage injury
10. Risk assessments
Module 2 – Managing Behaviour
• The coach is a calm, fair, friendly and consistent authority figure
• Attend to the causes of unwanted behaviours
• The coach should use her authority to apply well-established principles and procedures for dealing with unwanted behaviours
Module 3 – Safeguarding & Child Protection
• What are the risks?
• What procedures should be in place?
• Contacts and examples
Completing the Course:
Delegates must complete all units of the course, which include a number of self-marked “stop & think” exercises and a tutor-marked end-of-course assignment, to be awarded the “Promote Training Module in Keeping Children Safe & Managing Behaviour”.
This course also counts towards the “The Children’s Golf Coach” Certificate course.
On completion/participation of this course, PGA Professionals will be provided with valid supporting evidence and information from us so that it can be added as a structured formal learning opportunity on their CPD records.